By Maryana AlRabadi
Have you ever felt uncreative or unable to solve even a simple problem? Or have you ever wondered the reasons behind restraining your creativity? Well, every person might have amazing creative talent or skill, but each just has to learn how to unlock his / her abilities. In fact, there are six main obstacles to creative thinking that could be blocking people from learning how to improve their problem-solving skills for success, and if they fail to distinguish any of them, they could be holding them back. It is explained how in the following:
- The fear of failure is the fear of being wrong, make mistake, or lose money or time. It is not the experience of failure to hold back someone, it is actually the possibility or the anticipation of failure that paralyzes action and becomes the main reason for failure to solve problems.
- Lack of direction from yourself or others is the lack of clear goals, objectives, or actions. When a person becomes so clear about what he / she wants, and how he / she is going to achieve his / her goals, creativity comes immediately to life with great ideas and insights that help to move forward.
- The fear of rejection is the fear of criticism, scorn or rejection. It is the fear of sounding stupid or looking foolish. The motivation behind this is the desire to be liked or approved by others, even if they were anonymous. As a result, a person decides to go along to get along with the flow.
- The fear of changing or adapting to new situations is called homeostasis, which is the fear of doing or saying something new or different from what a person has done before. Unfortunately, people become stuck by that and begin to use excuses to not change.
- Not thinking proactively is passivity. If the mind is not stimulated with new ideas, it would lose its vitality and power. To illustrate, the thinking process becomes passive and automatic instead of becoming proactive and creative. That is initially because of routine. Consequently, humans’ minds become dull, puffed up, and full with negative thoughts.
- Justifying and never improve is whatever a person decides to do, or not to do according to a good provided reason. However, by constantly justifying decisions, people won’t be able learn to improve their performance.
In conclusion, creativity is a significant factor in achieving success. The better a person becomes in creating ways to solve the inevitable and unavoidable problems, the more successful he / she will be. Every person wants to be more successful and enjoy greater status and recognition. Thus, problem-solving ability is a key determinant of how much of success could be accomplished in life.